Mark Hudson to meet with the Cardiff board


Interim manager Mark Hudson is to hold vital talks with the Cardiff City board next week.

He is hoping to be confirmed as the club’s new permanent manager, having indicated that the South Wales club are not considering any other candidates at this time

Whilst fans are understandably getting frustrated that no further information is being made public at this time, he has urged them to be patient and said that the fact he had been allowed to bring in a coach, Dean Whitehead, should be regarded as a positive sign.

Hudson has been in temporary charge at Cardiff since Steve Morrison was sacked in September. He had been in charge for less than a year, but, despite bringing in 17 players over the summer, a poor start to the season cost him his job with the club 18th in the Championship at that time.


They remain in that position in the table, and are currently two points above the relegation places.


Now 40, Hudson is a fan favourite due to his playing career at the club. The defender made 164 appearances for them between 2009 and 2015, taking over the captaincy on his arrival, scoring 11 goals and was part of the team that won promotion to the Premier League in 2013. 


He began his coaching career at Huddersfield Town, and had two brief spells as caretaker manager before joining Cardiff again as first-team coach last November.


In truth, the Cardiff City board may be content to wait until the World Cup before making any final decisions. Like the Premier League, the Championship is set to cease for six weeks, which will give everybody time to recalibrate their options.


Whether Hudson ultimately gets the job may depend on whether the board considers he can get the club pointed in the right direction.


It has now been three seasons since they were last in the Premier League, and, after making the play-offs in their first year back down, the following two campaigns were disappointing.


Meanwhile, the long running saga over the transfer of forward Emiliano Sala, who was tragically killed in an air plane crash in which he was travelling to Cardiff crashed into the English Channel has continued in the background. 


In August, the Court of Arbitration for Sport ordered Cardiff to play French side Nantes £5.1 million, ruling that the Argentine had completed his transfer to the Welsh club when the plane went down.